Aerospace in Piemonte
Responsible ad interim
T: +39 011 6700572
F: +39 011 6965456
In Piemonte, the aerospace sector is one of the productive and scientific excellences, confirming the regional vocation for technological innovation. Piemonte can boast a complete pipeline of skills and qualifications, high-level manufacturing, processes and service companies, cooperation with universities and the R&D network, unique products and engineering know-how, educational & training system and an organized supply chain. Piemonte aerospace scenario is further enriched by the presence of the Piemonte Aerospace District and by the core of Italy’s Space industry: Thales Alenia Space, the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) and the Center for Space Human Robotics (CSHR), a spin-off of Politecnico of Torino.
|Download our brochure||Academic & industrial enhancement in aerospace|
Facts and figures about the aerospace sector in Piemonte
- 280 SMEs
- 14.800 employees
- 3.9 billion € turnover
- Piemonte detains 17% of national exports of the sector corresponding to almost 735 million €
- Piemonte exports are mainly directed to the USA (26%), Germany (22%) and the UK (17%)
A competitive environment
The five regional big players head the development and production of avionic and electronic systems, radar, flight simulators, space propellers, scientific satellite systems and space infrastructure, aeronautic propellers, actuation systems, aircraft and aircraft sections: their work ranges from civil transport to scientific applications, from telecommunications to defence. Alongside the major enterprises, a group of SMEs is specialised in the production of parts, components or entire systems for the aeronautical and space sectors. To top up this range of capabilities, in the last years Piemonte has been developing a unique know-how in the additive manufacturing, the productive process depositing successive layers of powder and then fusing them to form objects based on 3D models. A pool of top class companies, with the collaboration of the big player Avio Aero, is in fact active in the making of hi-tech aerospace, energy and racing components using the additive manufacturing process.
Piemonte's aerospace supply chain is complete and offers final producers of complex subsystems and suppliers of parts, components and functional groups that are incorporated in the following subsystems:
Space and New Space Economy
Piemonte is where new technologies are developed for the exploration of Moon, Mars and Deep Space.
Here, more than 50% of the habitable modules of the International Space Station have been built, including the pressurized commercial transport systems Cygnus/PCM. In the next future, Piemonte will lead European companies in the development of the Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway, a project promoted by NASA, ESA, Roscosmos, JAXA and CSA. After leading ExoMars 2016, Piemonte’s industry is working on the next mission to explore Mars. Piemonte’s contribution to the Space Systems includes: the thermofluidic equipment for cooling and air conditioning, belts and load containment solutions in the pressurized systems of logistic transport, structural components for pressurized modules and satellites.
Last but not least, Piemonte is at the forefront of the New Space Economy, from Space tourism to new satellite applications thanks to the presence of large international players, technological companies and a propensity for innovation and hybridization.
- At Aerospace & Defense Meetings Torino 2019 the future of aerospace from Piemonte-Italy: innovative projects and solutions for new challenges
- Business and investment opportunities at Aerospace & Defense Meetings Torino 2019
- At the International Paris Air Show 2019 aerospace know-how, business and investment opportunities from Piemonte-Italy
- New Space Economy: Piemonte to Bring Science into Orbit
- New Space Economy: NanoRacks chooses Piemonte-Italy to conquer Space
- Piemonte conquers Space
- In Piemonte the new economy of space takes shape
- Torino Aerospace & Defense Meetings is the Place to Be for Business and Investments in the Aerospace Industry
- Piemonte-Italy, a leading global hub for aerospace